This is a very easy and delicious way to whip up a versatile, nutritious sauce that works amazingly well over spaghetti or toasts, or in sandwiches. White beans do a fantastic job at absorbing and delivering a deep, warming umami flavor along with a heap of protein and fiber. The recipe is below:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 red bell peppers cut
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 can tomato sauce 15oz
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon each of smoked paprika thyme, mustard seed, cumin seed
- 1 can white beans 15oz, drained and rinsed
- salt and black pepper to taste
Put the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the red bell peppers, stir and cook for 8 minutes.
Add garlic, tomato sauce, tomato paste and combine.
Add the spices and cook for 10 minutes.
Add the white beans, add the salt and pepper and cook for 5 more minutes.
Optionally you can mash the beans or pulse the sauce in a food processor a few times for a smoother texture.