Pizza as a high-protein, high-fiber, gluten-free, soy-free vegan power food? Absolutely! That is if you can set aside the bread and cheese for a moment 🙂
Brown rice and green lentil combination is a great powerhouse with a great balance of high-quality protein, fiber and complex carbs. And that makes the duo a very attractive option for a worthy pizza pie crust. I love the how this turned out, the crust held of really well without crumbling away, it had a great flavor and a delightful texture.
The pesto sauce hardly needs any advertisement 😉 And it complements this crust brilliantly with that delicious fragrance. The recipe is below:
- 1 cup green lentils
- 1 cup brown rice, sprouted (soak rice in water for 1 day)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups fresh basil leaves
- ⅓ cup almonds (or another nut of your choice)
- 3 large cloves garlic
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon salt (or more, according to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Add the green lentils and the brown rice in a pot along with enough water to boil them. Bring to a boil and let it cook for 10 minutes. The grains should end up cooked but still firm. Drain the water and transfer the grains to the food processor (depending on the size of your food processor, you might to do this in two batches)
- Add the rest of the crust ingredients in the good processor and grind until you get a firm, dough-like consistency. It won't turn completely smooth, there will still be some texture due to the rice and the lentils but it should be too coarse.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F
- On a large piece of parchment paper, spread the dough out into an approximately 10 inch diameter pie. Raise the edges (see pic).
- Transfer the pie to oven (together with the parchment paper, I cooked mine over a pizza stone but if you don't have that, you can use a baking sheet or a tray) and cook at 350 F for 15 minutes.
- Let the crust cool while you work on the pesto topping.
- Grind all the pesto ingredients (except the olive oil) in a food processor until you are happy with texture.
- Transfer to a bowl and mix in the olive oil.
- Spread the pesto uniformly over the crust.
- Add your favorite toppings, I used red bell peppers, pickled jalapeños, cherry tomato slices, capers and fresh basil leaves.