This may sound like a random mash of different cuisines but I promise you it works! And the vegan sushi definitely needs a fresh look. I used to be a sushi lover up until I became a vegan. I still love sushi, but I find myself a little frustrated at sushi restaurants. There are a few exceptions of course but in general, the veg sushi options lack creativity, leaving me to feel ripped off with overpriced rice and cucumbers lol.
I incorporated quinoa into the sushi rice to up the protein game. The kimchi adds a kick and the probiotic component. The red cabbage salad adds in a great texture, and the pesto adds the zest, keeps things together and blends in all the flavors.
The recipe is below:
- 1 avocado, peeled an pitted
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ⅓ cup hemp seeds
- ½ juice of lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¾ cup red cabbage (finely sliced)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon olive oil
- ½ cup withe sticky rice, cooked
- ½ cup quinoa, cooked
- 2 nori sheets
- ½ cup kimchi
- ½ cup sprouts
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds, optional
- Put all the ingredients, except the olive oil, in the food processor and pulse a few times. Add the olive oil and pulse a few more times. I made it a little chunky but you can adjust the texture to your liking.
- Put the finely sliced red cabbage, along with all the other ingredients in a large bowl. Massage with you hands until the cabbage start to get softer and the color is changing towards magenta.
- To roll the sushis, you can use a thick towel spread over a flat surface. Cut out some plastic wrap to spread over the towel and place the nori sheet over the plastic wrap.
- Spread half of the rice and quinoa over the nori sheet, working with your finger tips and covering the entire surface of the nori sheet.
- Add half each of the pesto, red cabbage salad, kimchi and sprouts on one side of the nori sheet, taking up about ⅓rd of it.
- Start rolling the nori sheet along with towel and the wrap, peeling off the towel and the wrap as they on the top and get in the way. Keep rolling with your hands and cut the roll into 4 pieces.
- Repeat with another sheet of nori.
- Optionally decorate with black sesame seeds.