I love pesto in pretty much everything and I thought making a plant-based cheese deliciously flavored with pesto was a great idea. It is awesome to have this in the ready for spreading over toasts, using in sandwiches and in pasta sauces. The recipe is blow:
- 3/4 cup raw cashews soaked in water at least 4 hours and drained
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 or 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon agar agar powder
Put all the ingredients, except the water and agar agar, in a food processor or high speed blender, blend until smooth.
Add the water and the agar agar powder in a saucepan over medium heat and mix well.
Add the pesto mix and bring to boil. It should get a pancake batter consistency.
Transfer into a ramekin and let it cool on the counter.
Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving