One of my favorite breakfast options is a healthy, deliciously crisp granola served with either your favorite plant milk or yogurt. Oats are awesome sources of fiber and protein and make an excellent base for a nutritious start to the day. This granola makes it so much better and turns the breakfast into a chocolatey treat that you can feel great about. The recipe is below:
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds + 1/2 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons almond butter or any nut butter
- 1/3 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 3 cups rolled oats I use gluten-free
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
Set oven to 350F (175C)
Mix the flax seeds and hot water in a small bowl and set aside.
In a large bowl, mix the almond butter, coconut oil, maple syrup, cocoa, cinnamon, vanilla and salt.
Add the oats and stir until all the oats are coated uniformly with the wet ingredient mix. Add the flax seed mix and stir.
Finally add the pecans and the chocolate chips and mix well.
Spread the mix on a large baking sheet and bake for 13-15 minutes.
Give it a gentle stir without breaking up the clusters too much, and bake 5 to 7 more minutes but keep eye on it.
Remove from the oven, let cool completely.
You can keep the granola in an air-tight container for two weeks.