Vegan pancakes made with rolled oats, peanut butter, blueberries and plant milk (veggemo!). I love how delicious and fluffy these turned out, and the texture due to the rolled oats add yet another dimension to be excited about. The recipe is below, right after a brief review of my plant milk of choice for this recipe.
I am delighted with the ever increasing availability and variety of plant milks on the shelves these days. But of all, one product fascinated me with an entirely original approach. Veggemo recently introduced a non-dairy milk that is actually made out of vegetables as opposed to the usual suspects of nuts/soy/coconut. To be specific, they seem to be using a blend of pea protein, tapioca and potato starches as well as others. And the result is really amazing. It is tasty, milky :), and works extraordinarily well to cook with. Another bonus is that it is fortified with essentials such as vitamin B12 (1 cup gives you 50% of daily value). Checkout the nutrition profile of the original version here. I find the original to be well balanced, not too sweet or not too bland, but they also offer unsweetened and vanilla flavored versions.
The recipe for the pancakes is below, followed by a little video recipe:
- ¾ cup + 1 tablespoon wheat flour
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup plantmilk (i used veggemo original)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Coconut oil, for coating the cooking surface
- Fresh blueberries, for topping the pancakes
- Add the wet and dry ingredients in separate bowls and mix well.
- Combine the wet and the dry mixes and let wait for 10 minutes..
- Put some coconut oil in a pan (or on a griddle) over medium/low heat and when the oil is hot enough, put two tablespoons of the batter in.
- Shape into a circle (about 4 inch diameter) and add a few blueberries on each pancake
- Cook both sides until you get a golden brown crust on each side.
- Repeat with the rest of the batter.
- Serve with maple syrup.