Beets are one of the star items in my standard weekly shopping list. Most of the time, I boil and pickle them. And when I do that, I reserve some to incorporate in other dishes. Like these vegan patties.
I have posted several variations of vegan patties before (see here and here for examples). And among them, the best looking ones are these, rocking the beautiful beet red. They are really great for preparing ahead of time and keeping in the freezer for quick and awesome meals featuring hefty portions of veggies, protein and fiber. Feel free to turn them into burgers or enjoy them as filling proteins to accompany your salad.
- 2 medium beets, boiled or grilled, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- ½ cup parsleys, finely chopped
- ½ cup green lentils, boiled and drained
- ¼ brown rice, boiled and drained
- 3 tablespoon hemp seeds
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or grape seed oil
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
- Put the beets, green lentils, brown rice, hemp seeds, baking powder, cumin and cayenne pepper in the food processor and grind coarsely. Don't overdo it, you want to retain some texture.
- Transfer to a large bowl, and mix in the remaining ingredients.
- Shape into patties and cook both sides in a skillet (Or bake at 400F for 15 minutes).